sábado, 24 de julio de 2010

I made big progress (thanks to mgrant)

As I said in my last post, I was having problems with how Linux manages the focus. Well, thanks to mgrant and python-xlib I finally fixed that problem. Well, there's still some really little bug, but I'll try to fix it next weekend.
The little bug: Run Jake-PyQT4 but don't click on it's window. Now it doesn't have the focus. Hide it and show it. It won't get the focus, but it should get it.
Now quit Jake-PyQT4. Run it again, and this time click on it's window. Hide it and show it. It has the focus! Hide and show it as many times as you want. It will get the focus.
So, the bug is that it won't get the focus if the main app never had the focus. Kind of weird...

Next problem I talked about in my last post was Mac and Xlib for it. After a short conversation in #macports somebody told me that the only way of doing it is using cocoa (wtf?). I really would like to use something else, if not python-pure, at least not cocoa. If I'm not able to do that, sorry Mac users, but I'll have to drop hook system for Mac until I know how to do it.

Last problem was Symbian. Well, I'mm really too far from releasing for Symbian, so I won't even talk for it right now.

So, what have I done last week or so? I did the keyboard hook system! It's on it's own class/file (you can have a look at SVN log for commit 30 here). Also, I did another plugin. !google-maps-distance Realle easy to use. It will return the distance (in km) from point A to point B. I'll do two more plugins using gmaps API. The first one is !google-maps-streetview and the second one is !google-maps-route.

What's next?
After finishing those plugins, I'll work a little bit on the skining manager, I'll fix the look of the config dialog (right now really fscked), I'll right the special config dialog for the main app, and then make the app use those settings.

What about after those changes? 
Most probably I'll do some plugins. I really want to make the !mp3 plugin.
Also, I'm looking at whoosh and I'm starting to think about making a file indexer and searcher plugin. It won't be like strigi and it won't have any fancy things. It will just search for files given a string. Anyways, if you wish to see something more advanced, make a patch, send it to me and I could merge it if it doesn't break anything nor it kills my dog. :)

Next post will appear shortly after finishing !google-maps plugins and it will have some screenshots. Until then, have a good time.
Bye!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario