domingo, 18 de julio de 2010

[Devs] Blocking problems

One major problem that I'm having is the way that Linux manages the focus. On Windows, the top window has the focus after hiding and showing it, but on Linux things are different.
A top window can exist, but this doesn't mean that it will have the focus.
Also, windows with AlwaysOnTop flag won't have the focus (after hiding and showing the window)
There is also another problem. Most desktop environments have a thing called focus-steal-prevention-system. Yes! People get annoyed when they are typing something and a window pops up and steals the focus. I hate that too. But the nature of my app is different. The idea is to have a global key that will show/hide the app. Once the app is shown, it should steal the focus (really, this sounds annoying, but it isn't at all. In fact, it's usefull. Just try yakuake.)

So, what am I going to do to fix (or work-arround) this problem? I'm talking with mgrant, python-xlib maintainer, and he told me that he's going to merge some fixes into current 0.15rc1 branch, and that he'll work on my problem. Once it gets fixed, I could use his code to make my app steal the focus.
Meanwhile, I'll keep working on plugins.

Another big problem is Mac. Recently VirtualBox added native support for Mac, and I already have a basic install, but I'm lazy I haven't tested Jake-PyQT4 at all on Mac. Also, I don't know what could I use to hook the keyboard (that will let me implement the global key show/hide option). This has low priority for now. I'll try to release first for Linux and Windows. Then for Mac, and finally for Symbian.

Yes, Symbian. That's my last problem. Jake-PyQT4 is written in python and qt4, and both things run perfectly on Symbian devices. Also I don't do any fancy things (well, except the keyboard hook thingy), so it should work somehow on that platform. Or not... I guess that it will work fine on my phone (Nokia N97) because it has a keyboard, but how will users with only touch-screen-keyboard-devices type? If you have any ideas, feel free to share them here.
I'll post again once mgrant has added my feature-request.
Bye!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario